Soundwave 2014!

254 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maiden_Eddie's picture

People who wouldn't go see them at a solo show might go see them at Soundwave, so that number is irrelevant.
Green Day are undeniably a headline band. I don't like them and won't be watching them but they just are.

Basically through all this you're saying you like Megadeth and want them to be higher...

TheBuffGuy's picture

I love megadeth, and they are unjustifiably billed so low under 3 bands I believe to be factually smaller names than megadeth. However, that's not all I'm saying. Even if megadeth weren't on this bill, granted what you said is true about green day, I believe avenged sevenfold Is bigger. I hate them, but I am a realist.

dynamo's picture

who care where your favourite band is billed I am just happy some of my favourite bands are even coming here

Upcoming Gigs: Soundwave, Iced Earth, Orphaned Land, Shorefest, The Almost, The One Man Show, Arctic Monkeys, Finntroll

SW14: Heaven's Basement, Bowling For Soup, Letlive, 10 Years, Green Day, Alice In Chains, In Hearts Wake, Mutemath, Panic! At The Disco, Filter

Rob64's picture

TheBuffGuy wrote:

I love megadeth, and they are unjustifiably billed so low under 3 bands I believe to be factually smaller names than megadeth. However, that's not all I'm saying. Even if megadeth weren't on this bill, granted what you said is true about green day, I believe avenged sevenfold Is bigger. I hate them, but I am a realist.

Are you from Australia?

Green Day are massive in the wider music community.

------------------------------------------------------

bazbaz wrote:

AWESOME ROB IS AWESOME

kimbie wrote:

Metalhead13 wrote:

Metalheads and emos are two different things dickhead.

Quote:

Someone ordered a large waaah-mburger with a side of cries.

TheBuffGuy's picture

I'm from Canada and they're massive here too. But according to Australian concert attendance I've researched, their numbers aren't great. Seems like they're just headlining because of their name.

Rated_R's picture

TheBuffGuy wrote:

No one I've seen or heard even listens to green day and they haven't even released a decent selling album lately. They're only headlining because of their name, really. The promotors might have a boner for them, too. That definitely has a lot to do with it. Green day is really not that big at all. Metallica and linkin park, two headliners from last year, are both wayyyy bigger than green day. Blink182 is sort of in the same boat as green day, undeserving of a headlining position, nowhere near the size of the other two headliners. Again, poor choice of band to headline by the promotors. Someone obviously isn't doing much research on blink 182. Their concert draw and album sales are total snot.

Well fuck, if The Buff Guy's friends aren't listening to Green Day, then how dare they be headliners at a festival!

But seriously, GD have headlined Download in the UK, Reading/Leeds, and played the Milton Music Bowl to nearly 100,000. And as for album sales? They have had several number 1 albums, and who the fuck DOESN'T at least own Dookie!! I can't think of a much better headliner. Quit wasting your time complaining - JUST DON'T FUCKING GO?

SOUNDWAVE 13 - METALLICA, LINKIN PARK, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, SUM 41, DEAF HAVANA, GALLOWS, FOZZY, STONE SOUR, THE OFFSPRING, CANCER BATS, THE BLACKOUT, LOADED. Sidewaves - BLINK 182, The Vandals, Scott Ian/Chris Jericho.

Exo's picture
Exo

I could be wrong, but I think it's quite likely that Megadeth will headline the Metal Stage. If that's the case then who cares that Greenday are headlining. All the Megadeth fans can watch Megadeth and the Greenday fans can watch Greenday. Oh and Greenday are most definitely a headlining band, they're not my cup of tea, but I know a shitload of people that like them.

x_michelle's picture

BOTDF 4 3rd headliner

michelle 20/f/adelaide Twitter | Lastfm
SW2013: The Blackout, Deaf Havana, Polar Bear Club, Crossfaith, Memphis May Fire, Cancer Bats, The Chariot, Gallows, Fucked Up, Sharks, Sleeping With Sirens, Billy Talent, While She Sleeps, This Is Hell, The Wonder Years, Such Gold, Cerebral Ballzy, Milestones, The Dear Hunter, Motion City Soundtrack, Pierce The Veil, Woe Is Me, Of Mice and Men, A Perfect Circle, Mindless Self Indulgence, Blink-182, Sick Of It All, Bring Me The Horizon
SW2014 Wishlist: FACT, Broadway, Flood of Red, Lower Than Atlantis, iwrestledabearonce, Brigade, Canterbury, Ice Nine Kills, Blitz Kids, Japanese Voyeurs (RIP), ISpyStrangers, Twin Atlantic, At The Drive-In, Brand New, Disco Ensemble, The Human Abstract, A Lot Like Birds, Our Last Night, United Nations, Vanna, Marmozets, Dead Swans, Foxfires, Foxy Shazam, Rolo Tomassi, North Korea, Melt-Banana

Asta's picture

I'm just wondering why it's such a long time between announcements if they already know who the third headliner is why do we have to wait to find out? I already love this lineup sooooo much thanks soundwave!

Harrishun's picture

TheBuffGuy wrote:

I'm from Canada

Then... What?

Anyway, I'm still undecided as to whether I want to go or not, so it's mostly going depend on money and whether tickets sell-out.
If I do go, I'll be keen to see Green Day, Trash Talk, Pulled Apart By Horses, Living Colour, AFI, Megadeth, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains and Placebo. Of course, I'm sure I won't be lucky enough to see all these bands, but that would be the ideal day.

dynamo's picture

Chip on a Stick 4 3rd headliner

Upcoming Gigs: Soundwave, Iced Earth, Orphaned Land, Shorefest, The Almost, The One Man Show, Arctic Monkeys, Finntroll

SW14: Heaven's Basement, Bowling For Soup, Letlive, 10 Years, Green Day, Alice In Chains, In Hearts Wake, Mutemath, Panic! At The Disco, Filter

sssmeyer's picture

Some cool bands, I doubt it will sell out this year, good luck getting your money back scalpers suck it!!!

Mek_Sahin's picture

sssmeyer wrote:

Some cool bands, I doubt it will sell out this year, good luck getting your money back scalpers suck it!!!

presales for Syd and Bris sold out on the first day so i'm pretty sure it's gonna sell out

2013: Soundwave, Linkin Park/Stone Sour, Tool, Northlane/Structures/SFTP/Statues, Lamb of God/Meshuggah, Parkway Drive/Northlane, Parkway Drive/Thy Art is Murder, BMTH/OM&M/Crossfaith, Fleetwood Mac, Warped. fuck yeah good year so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJBw8pXBzk- my coverage of Sydney Soundwave 2013!!!! check it

Mek_Sahin's picture

dynamo wrote:

dude, you are genuinely hilarious and frequently make me lol with your posts. PLEASE POST MORE OFTEN!

2013: Soundwave, Linkin Park/Stone Sour, Tool, Northlane/Structures/SFTP/Statues, Lamb of God/Meshuggah, Parkway Drive/Northlane, Parkway Drive/Thy Art is Murder, BMTH/OM&M/Crossfaith, Fleetwood Mac, Warped. fuck yeah good year so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJBw8pXBzk- my coverage of Sydney Soundwave 2013!!!! check it

Charlee14's picture

DaveyBoy wrote:

I'm not on Twitter, so when someone has a moment, can they please ask AJ whether or not he has any say with regards to the position of the stages.

Since the Melbourne event looks as if it will be at Flemington once more, I'm hoping he can return the 2 main stages to within hearing distance of each other. It didn't work well at all earlier this year imo.

I'm not a big fan of flemmington either. Thought the stage set ups were kinda messy n the food,drink, and merch zones were so cluttered. Much prefer the showgrounds set up for Soundwave!!

CHARLEEGAL

Jonathon's picture

I wonder how long the Stone Temple Pilots set will be..it shall be interesting, haha Smile

dynamo's picture

On that thought I really hope there is none of this 30 mins sets at soundwave this year like back in 2012.

Minimum time of 40 mins or more for every set.

dynamo's picture

Also Bowling For Soup need to do a few sidewaves (headlining) cause its the last time their touring Australia.

Nukooooooooo's picture

Seems like there's quite a bit of contention over which bands bigger and who should be playing where as per always....

We know Greenday are closing 1A big question is who closes 1B. Is it A7X or do they close 2A freeing up the slot for AIC/Korn.

Personally I would have it like this (and this is an attempt at pleasing everyone/picking the right band for the job moreso than my individual preferences though inevitably they're factored in also)

1A Closer Greenday
1B Closer Alice In Chains
1A 2nd last Korn
1B 2nd last Placebo
1A 3rd last AFI
1B 3rd last Alterbridge

2A Closer Avenged Sevenfold
2B Closer Stone Temple Pilots
With Down, Biffy Clyro, Alkaline Trio, Living Colour, Bowling for Soup etc filling out those stages

Metal Stage be it 3 or 4 for 2014
Closer Megadeth
2nd last Rob Zombie
3rd last Devildriver
4th last Trivium

I think based on that this lineup is as strong as Soundwaves in the past that have sold out or come close to. Gotta remember we were spoilt in 2012 and 13, they were unusually good lineups.

What really bothers me is where does this mysterious 3rd headliner fit in to the mix if they are in the mix at all - its highly likely I'm wrong but my hopes rest with it being Mudvayne - they wouldn't be out of place and have enough material and enough of a show to be considered a modern "headliner".

After Megadeth "leaked" that list of their stage running order (which AJ quickly quashed as being incorrect) I noticed that Hellyeah were to be playing relatively early in the day on the metal stage. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Chad Grey the singer for Hellyeah? If he's already going to be here and playing why not put on Mudvayne as well or just instead of Hellyeah?

I won't be too disappointed if that dream dreamt up in a pipe doesn't eventuate, but to me Mudvayne would be a worthy addition to what is already a very good lineup.

Token ending gesture - keen to see Mushroomhead, GWAR, Devildriver, Rob Zombie, Living Colour, AFI, Asking Alexandria, Whitechapel, AIC, Greenday, LETLIVE! and KORNNNN!!!!@!

dynamo's picture

Not sure but I recon Avenged Sevenfold will be on the main stage just before Green Day.

scrubbadog67's picture

When were Hellyeah added to the line up ? They don't appear on the line up page ?

Avenged Sevenfold probably wouldn't want to headline an outer stage, especially if they were to clash with Green Day or the mystery 3rd headline band. They'd probably chuck a hissy fit and cancel just like they did when they were last booked on the festival but were slotted to clash with Iron Maiden.

dynamo's picture

Hellyeah weren't added to the line up, but Megadeth leaked a photo on their page that shows the stage setup for the Metal stage which had Hellyeah opening. It has been confirmed by AJ that the photo was just a proposed stage setup and that Hellyeah and the other two bands that were also mention on the photos are not playing soundwave.

Chicken Suit Luke's picture

Nukooooooooo wrote:

Seems like there's quite a bit of contention over which bands bigger and who should be playing where as per always....

We know Greenday are closing 1A big question is who closes 1B. Is it A7X or do they close 2A freeing up the slot for AIC/Korn.

Personally I would have it like this (and this is an attempt at pleasing everyone/picking the right band for the job moreso than my individual preferences though inevitably they're factored in also)

1A Closer Greenday
1A 2nd last Korn
1B 2nd last Placebo
1A 3rd last AFI
1B 3rd last Alterbridge

With Down, Biffy Clyro, Alkaline Trio, Living Colour, Bowling for Soup etc filling out those stages

Closer Megadeth
2nd last Rob Zombie
3rd last Devildriver
4th last Trivium

I think based on that this lineup is as strong as Soundwaves in the past that have sold out or come close to. Gotta remember we were spoilt in 2012 and 13, they were unusually good lineups.

What really bothers me is where does this mysterious 3rd headliner fit in to the mix if they are in the mix at all - its highly likely I'm wrong but my hopes rest with it being Mudvayne - they wouldn't be out of place and have enough material and enough of a show to be considered a modern "headliner".

After Megadeth "leaked" that list of their stage running order (which AJ quickly quashed as being incorrect) I noticed that Hellyeah were to be playing relatively early in the day on the metal stage. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Chad Grey the singer for Hellyeah? If he's already going to be here and playing why not put on Mudvayne as well or just instead of Hellyeah?

I won't be too disappointed if that dream dreamt up in a pipe doesn't eventuate, but to me Mudvayne would be a worthy addition to what is already a very good lineup.

Token ending gesture - keen to see Mushroomhead, GWAR, Devildriver, Rob Zombie, Living Colour, AFI, Asking Alexandria, Whitechapel, AIC, Greenday, LETLIVE! and KORNNNN!!!!@!

Sydney isn't using the stadium again which means we're back to a one main stage set up this year.

Also I might be out of touch but Mudvayne wouldn't be that high would they?

------------------------Luke. 20. Melb ----------------------------AMH Network
2013: Weezer (Blue album), Weezer (Pinkerton), Big Day Out, Blink 182/Vandals/Sharks, Paramore, Soundwave(x5), All Time Low/Polar Bear Club, Ed Sheeran, MSI/TBO/CB, Linkin Park/Stone Sour, TWY/SG/LWL/VTW, Fucked Up/Obrother/The Dear Hunter, KISS/Motley Crue, Future Music, Pushover, Fall Out Boy, Bruce Springsteen, Silverstein, The Kooks, Tegan & Sara, Masketta Fall, Built On Secrets/Sound of Seasons, SITG, AL4W(x2), Guttermouth, Cartel/Lydia, Being as an Ocean, Hit the Lights, Anberlin/The Maine/William Beckett, Rolo Tomassi/Totally Unicorn, BMTH/Crossfaith, Devin Townsend, Yellowcard (ocean avenue), Hits & Pits 2.0, Taylor Swift

Chicken Suit Luke's picture

TheBuffGuy wrote:

No one I've seen or heard even listens to green day and they haven't even released a decent selling album lately. They're only headlining because of their name, really. The promotors might have a boner for them, too. That definitely has a lot to do with it. Green day is really not that big at all. Metallica and linkin park, two headliners from last year, are both wayyyy bigger than green day. Blink182 is sort of in the same boat as green day, undeserving of a headlining position, nowhere near the size of the other two headliners. Again, poor choice of band to headline by the promotors. Someone obviously isn't doing much research on blink 182. Their concert draw and album sales are total snot.

As for avenged sevenfold randomly getting huge, it certainly wasn't nightmare, that album barely went gold. Many bands nowadays that can sell platinum (slipknot, system of a down, rammstein, etc) are getting less treatment and hype than avenged. It's a temporary thing. And now that hail to the king is selling garbage, too, maybe promotors will get a clue. For the amount it costs to hire a band to be billed that high, avenged sevenfold just isn't worth the money. A better choice would've been a band like iron maiden, but they're selling so much these days, they're bigger than even metallica... I doubt soundwave could afford maiden nowadays unfortunately. A lot has changed since 2011 for them, sales wise.

1)blink 182 could easily have headlined 2013 if it was a normal year. They sold out huge sideshows ON TOP of soundwave including another show in Melbourne.
2)Hail to the King charted at #2 close behind John Mayer... so it clearly did sell a few copies..

------------------------Luke. 20. Melb ----------------------------AMH Network
2013: Weezer (Blue album), Weezer (Pinkerton), Big Day Out, Blink 182/Vandals/Sharks, Paramore, Soundwave(x5), All Time Low/Polar Bear Club, Ed Sheeran, MSI/TBO/CB, Linkin Park/Stone Sour, TWY/SG/LWL/VTW, Fucked Up/Obrother/The Dear Hunter, KISS/Motley Crue, Future Music, Pushover, Fall Out Boy, Bruce Springsteen, Silverstein, The Kooks, Tegan & Sara, Masketta Fall, Built On Secrets/Sound of Seasons, SITG, AL4W(x2), Guttermouth, Cartel/Lydia, Being as an Ocean, Hit the Lights, Anberlin/The Maine/William Beckett, Rolo Tomassi/Totally Unicorn, BMTH/Crossfaith, Devin Townsend, Yellowcard (ocean avenue), Hits & Pits 2.0, Taylor Swift

dynamo's picture

Would be great if Arctic Monkeys were 3rd headliner. A lot better than having Good Charlotte headline.

dynamo's picture

Korn are on the Metal stage now not main
https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting/status/375560951212171264

Rated_R's picture

Nukooooooooo wrote:

1A Closer Greenday
1A 2nd last Korn
1B 2nd last Placebo
1A 3rd last AFI
1B 3rd last Alterbridge

Closer Megadeth
2nd last Rob Zombie
3rd last Devildriver
4th last Trivium

I'd need to go to ever single Soundwave, to see my favourites if that is the case. CLASH FEST!

SOUNDWAVE 13 - METALLICA, LINKIN PARK, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, SUM 41, DEAF HAVANA, GALLOWS, FOZZY, STONE SOUR, THE OFFSPRING, CANCER BATS, THE BLACKOUT, LOADED. Sidewaves - BLINK 182, The Vandals, Scott Ian/Chris Jericho.

Rated_R's picture

dynamo wrote:

Would be great if Arctic Monkeys were 3rd headliner. A lot better than having Good Charlotte headline.

Going by the fairly poor Warped Tour line-up with the likes of Simple Plan, they should stick GC on their.

Arctic Monkeys make no sense being anywhere near SW. Just awful indie tripe that NME suck the assholes of.

Oflick's picture

Rated_R wrote:

Arctic Monkeys make no sense being anywhere near SW. Just a fantastic indie band that NME rightfully suck the assholes of. But they wouldn't fit in at Soundwave.

I agree.

mm-hmm's picture

dynamo wrote:

Could not possibly back this more.

Upcoming Gigs: Tonight Alive @ Rolling Stone Live Lodge 4/9, Tonight Alive @ Hi-Fi 5/9, Anberlin, The Maine, William Beckett @ The Hi-fi 7/9, Wolumes @ Bald Faced Stag 14/9, Parkway Drive @ Roundhouse 24th/25th/9, Rolo Tomassi 4th/5th/10 Bring Me The Horizon @ Hordern Pavilion 6/10, Every Time I Die @ Manning Bar 19/10, Fall Out Boy @ Syd Entertainment Centre 25/10, Yellowcard @ Enmore Theatre 26/10, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus @ Glasshouse 14/11, Harvest, Neck Deep @ Annandale 23/11, City & Colour 24th/25th/26th/11, Warped Tour, Muse @ Allphones Arena 13/12, Paramore @ Allphones 11/1, Big Day Out, Soundwave

Soundwave 2014: Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, AFI, Korn, Alterbridge, Trivium, Biffy Clyro, August Burns Red, Living Colour, Letlive, Gwar, Finch, Bowling For Soup, Skindred, TesseracT, The Story So Far, Our Last Night, Your Demise, Heaven's Basement, Real Friends